- B.C. Home
- Ministry of Citizens' Services and Open Government
- Information Access Operations
- Freedom of Information
- Managers, Information Access
- Records Management
- ARCS Online
ARCS/ORCS/ORS - Records Schedules
The Document Disposal Act governs the final disposition of government records and provides for the establishment and approval of records schedules.
These schedules or “timetables” determine the life cycle of a record from its creation and active office use, off-site storage (if required), and final disposition of either destruction or transfer to the government archives. Records are scheduled by function, rather than by media or format.
The British Columbia Government uses three types of records schedules:
• The Administrative Records Classification System (ARCS)
• Program-specific Operational Records Classification Systems (ORCS) and Ongoing Records Schedules (ORS)
• Government-wide Special Schedules
Government Record Service is responsible for developing and amending records schedules in cooperation with Records Officers and government ministries. Offices should refer proposals for new ARCS or ORCS classifications or other suggested changes to their Records Officer/Team.
For detailed requirements on developing and amending ORCS/ORS, see the Standard ORCS Kit.