- B.C. Home
- Ministry of Social Development
Online Resource Home
- Click on a Category name to see its topics
- Program Administration
Verification and Eligibility
- Two-Year Financial Independence
- Time Limits
- Identification Requirements
- Citizenship Requirements
- Residency in British Columbia
- Living Arrangements
- Pursuing Income
- Eligibility Review
- Compliance Review
- Monthly Reporting Requirement
- Income and Exemptions
- Assets and Exemptions
- Child in Home of a Relative (CIHR)
- Underage Applicants
- Payment of Assistance
- Loss Management - Referral for PLMS Review or Investigation
- Eligibility for Hardship Assistance
- Awaiting EI Benefits
- Awaiting Other Income
- Assets in Excess
- Strike or Lockout
- Disqualification for Fraud and Related Offences
- Sanctions with Imminent Danger to Physical Health
- Income in Excess
- Immediate Needs - Work Search Required
- Sponsorship Undertaking Default
- Identity Not Established
- SIN Required
- Employment Planning and Exemptions
- Employment Programs and Community Services
- Employment Strategy for Persons with Disabilities
- Persons with Disabilities Designation
- BC Bus Pass Program
- Camp Fees
- Christmas Supplement
- Clothing Supplement for People in Special Care Facilities
- Community Volunteer Program
- Confirmed Job Supplement
- Co-op Share Purchase Supplement
- CPP Adjustment Supplement
- Crisis Supplement
- Family Bonus Supplement
- Funeral Costs
- Guide Animal Supplement
- Identification Supplement
- Moving, Transportation, and Living Costs
- Pre-natal Shelter Supplement
- Replacement of Lost or Stolen Cheques
- School Start-up Supplement
- Security Deposits
- Senior's Supplement
- Special Transportation Subsidy
- Training Initiative Supplement
- Transportation to Alcohol and Drug Facilities
- Travel Supplement
- Utility Security Deposit
Health Supplements and Programs
- Health Supplement Summary
- Eligible and Non-Eligible Health Supplements
- Alcohol and Drug Residential Treatment
- Dental and Orthodontic Services
- Diet Supplements
- Extended Medical Therapies
- Healthy Kids
- Life-Threatening Health Needs
- Medical Equipment and Devices
- Medical Equipment - Hearing Instruments
- Medical Services Only (MSO)
- Medical Equipment - Orthoses
- Medical Services Plan and Medical Coverage
- Medical Supplies
- Medical Transportation
- Monthly Nutritional Supplement (MNS)
- Natal Supplement
- Nutritional Supplements
- Optical Services
- Supplement for Alcohol and Drug Treatment
- Tube Feed Supplement
- Decisions, Reconsideration and Appeal
- Family Maintenance Program (FMP)
Verification and Eligibility
Effective: October 01, 2012
The Verification and Eligibility Category provides details about the legislative and regulatory requirements that govern the assessment of initial and ongoing eligibility for Employment and Assistance. Eligibility requirements under the Employment and Assistance Act may differ from those under the Employment and Assistance for Persons with Disabilities Act. Many eligibility requirements have specific exceptions, which must be considered. Based on the legislative framework that applies in each individual case, ministry staff assess eligibility based on the following general criteria:
- At least one applicant must have had two consecutive years of financial independence prior to applying for assistance.
- The identity of each family member must be established.
- Applicants must meet Canadian citizenship requirements.
- Applicants must be residents of British Columbia.
- Applicants must not have any outstanding warrants.
- The number of persons and the dependent relationships in each family unit must be established.
- Applicants must not be full-time students.
- Applicants who may be eligible for other income or other means of support, are required to pursue and accept the other income or means of support.
- Applicants must pursue, accept, and use all other income to support themselves before receiving assistance.
- Applicants must demonstrate that their assets are within the applicable assets levels.
The Verification and Eligibility category provides information about how initial eligibility is verified, how continuing eligibility is determined through Eligibility Reviews, and how compliance with regulatory requirements is monitored and enforced through Sanctions.
This category also provides information about the provision of assistance to underage applicants and to relatives caring for children through the Child in the Home of a Relative Program.
This category also provides information about how assistance is calculated, the amount of assistance provided, how to update cheque message notifications and cheque issue dates.
This category also provides information about the recovery of various types of assistance provided to, or on behalf of clients.
Detailed information is available by clicking on the appropriate topic within the Verification and Eligibility Category (left-hand menu).